1 = Poor; 5 = Excellent
BMR (Brown Mid-Rib): N/A
Seedling Vigor: 4
Recovery After Cutting: 4
Leaf Disease Resistance: 3
Sugarcane Aphid Tolerance: 5
Double Crop: 5
Single Silage Cut: NA
Rapid Dry Down: 4
Maximum teff production occurs at altitudes of 5900-6900 ft., growing
season rainfall of 18-21 in., and a temperature range of 50-80 F. Teff is day length sensitive and flowers best with 12 hrs. of daylight.
Emergence (days): 3-5
- Teff does not tolerate frost so planting should be delayed until risk has past
- Teff emerges quickly in warm soils and is a fast growing crop
- Plant less than 1/4 in. deep in a very firm seedbed
- Can be drilled or broadcast
- Seeding Rate: 6-8 lbs./acre
- Grows in a wide variety of climates and soil types
- Interest in teff as a health food is growing due to its low gluten content and high mineral content
- Teff seed can shatter if harvest is delayed
- Teff is relatively free of plant diseases when compared to other cereal crops
- It is suitable and is used for double and relay cropping
Teff yield in the United States ranges from 2 ton in dryland areas to over 6 ton in irrigated or higher rainfall areas.
We’ll continue to update this tab, so please visit periodically to see additional information and resources including product data, testimonials, photos, marketing material and more.